Friday, November 27, 2009

So much to be thankful for...

Click the photo for a slide show


Yesterday was Thanksgiving Day. We were so fortunate to have my brother and his family and my mother (she'll be 94 next month) and a friend with us for the traditional turkey feast. The dinner preparations are always a joy for me and Jill. We both love cooking and entertaining. I suppose, if there is a shortcoming with our home, it is that we don't have room enough to seat more than about 15 at our dining room table. We only had half that many yesterday (well, there wasn't a half a person, but we did have seven), but we would have welcomed more.

Today the sun is shining and the weather is unseasonably warm. I got out and re-engineered our Christmas lights. I installed gutter covers a couple of months ago, and my lights that used to clip on the edge of the gutters no longer fit. I was able to add some plastic hooks and string the lights through them. We have, for several years had a lighted cross to hang on the front of the garage, but it didn't light this year. I am thinking that I may rework it into a star, which is more appropriate for this season of advent.

Tomorrow, we are picking up the motor home from the storage facility, and Sunday we will take off for a few days. Catch our adventures on my blog, Travels With Sadie. We are so fortunate to have our venerable old coach to whisk us away from time to time. We always feel really close to each other when we are traveling in her. Yes, I know, in 240 square feet we have to be close to each other, but I was talking about emotional closeness. The weather promises to be dry, if chilly, so we are glad the Champoeg State Park has lots of places for us to take brisk hikes and keep our blood circulating. Pogo always gets so tired the first time out that she sleeps the rest of the time we are at this particular park.

I learned that, if I were to pursue the Ph.D. I was considering, the State of Oregon would not recognize it. So, I have decided not to pursue it. We are remaining open to God's leading for where He wants us to be connected to fellowship and ministry. Apparently, further study is not in His plans at this time, at least not that particular program. I can only conclude that He has something even more wonderful in store for us.

I don't know if it is leftover L-tryptophan from the turkey, or the chilly weather while I was outside hanging the lights, or laziness, but I am feeling very sleepy. Thank the Lord that I am able to be retired and take a nap, which is what I believe I will do next. Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving and that the Advent season will bring much joy and the Peace of Christ to you and yours.

No comments: