Monday, March 2, 2009

Of dental prophylaxis, dismal procrastination, and civic disappointment...

Jury duty is over. It was not onerous, but it was disappointing. Clackamas county requires jurors to call in each evening to see if their numbers have been called for the next day's jury panel. The duty is for a week. I did not get called until Thursday. Thursday morning I reported, along with a couple of hundred others, for orientation. That took about an hour. Then we waited in the jury assembly room. After about another hour, the director read a list of numbers of the jurors and said they could go home, because the defendant in the first trial of the day had waived jury trial. About an hour later they sent the rest of us home for the same reason. We were instructed to call and see if we were needed the next day. I wasn't. So, my jury service consisted of three hours of orientation and waiting, but no chance to render my wise judgment on a case. Perhaps, I will be called again, although in Clackamas county, no one may serve more than once in 24 months.

The sun is shining today, in spite of the forecast for "lots of rain" that I saw on the local TV station's web site. So we have been enjoying a bit of blue sky and temps in the 60s. I should have gone out to do some weeding with my wife, but alas, I was working on taxes and helping a friend manage the emails for his ministry, Restore America.

Pogo had her teeth cleaned today. She was one unhappy pup this morning, when Papa wouldn't give her any breakfast. She was even unhappier, when I took her to the veterinarian's office. Nevertheless, she did fine and got her teeth cleaned and pressed...er...cleaned. By coincidence, Jill got her teeth cleaned today, as well. She, too, did quite well and got a perfect check up. Next it is my turn. I need to call for an appointment tomorrow. I was supposed to call last week but didn't "get around to it." So, tomorrow I will call...I promise.

1 comment:

Blessed Beyond Measure said...

Jim says Hi. He hasn't wrote much lately because Frazier's class is kickin' his butt! No Kidding! Jim was also wondering if you have been able to work on the book yet?

Seems funny that Dr. Waugh would have to have his teeth cleaned. But I guess that dentists need their teeth cleaned too. Poor Pogo...aren't you take this teeth cleaning thing to an extreme?!?! We have fish....should we get their teeth cleaned too? Do fish even have teeth? Just kiddin'!
Have a great day!
Blessings