Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The agony and the ecstasy...

It's drizzling outside. I woke up with low back pain and was unable to do my thrice weekly mall walk with Jill. But this is the day the Lord has made, and I will rejoice and be glad in it! One never knows what blessings the Lord has waiting right around the corner. If we concentrate on the things we find distressing, we never get to the blessing. I like to remember Paul the Apostle, who was cheerful and ministered to others even when he was in prison! Paul looked at EVERY situation as an opportunity to serve the Lord and to spread the gospel. Lord give me the power to do that, too!

I am on jury duty this week...well, sort of. I am in the current week's pool of jurors, but so far I haven't even had to go to the courthouse. Each evening, I call a recording, and it tells me which jurors are needed for the next day. So far, my number hasn't come up, but this is Wednesday and I have two more chances. When I was practicing dentistry in a large group, I had to be excused from jury duty, which happened three or four times. Now that I am retired and able to answer the call to my civic duty, I have not been needed.

Today is Patrick's last game of the season. He is coaching 8th grade boys' basketball. So far, the team has done very well. They are fun to watch, because they are such team players. There are a couple of boys who are obviously more talented than the others, but they are not prima donnas. Patrick is one of two coaches for the team. TJ is the ostensible head, although he and Patrick are billed as co-head coaches. Patrick primarily works with the kids individually on developing skills and on defensive coordination, and TJ covers offense. If my back feels up to it this afternoon, I will make the 60 mile drive to Independence to see the game. C'mon, back, let's go! I love this game.

2 comments:

Blessed Beyond Measure said...

Are you feeling better? Did you get to go to the game?

Tom said...

Yes, I am better. I just slept in wrong position and messed up my back, which is pretty delicate. We went to the game. Pat's team won after a shaky start. We had fun with Patrick and his wife Katie. We all went out to dinner after the game. It was a good day...aren't they all?