Sunday, December 14, 2008

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas

It is here! Temperatures in the mid twenties to mid teens (tonight) and a couple of inches of snow. Tire chains are required everywhere in the metro area. Current temperature is 26 F. This is reputed to be the worst cold snap in several years. I don't think it will equal 1968, when we had 3 feet of snow on the ground in front of our house. Four-wheel drive vehicles were getting high-centered on our street. Nevertheless, this is a significant cold spell, and I can't help thinking of the people who are living on the streets. They will need special attention and prayers this week.

We are among the fortunates. We were unable to make it to church this morning, but we had a nice warm home to stay in. We had a fire in the fireplace and put on some Christmas movies. The aroma of Christmas cookies baking in the kitchen filled the house. My lovely bride is a consummate baker and chef. All things considered, it was a very pleasant day. I am sure we will get tired of the cold before it is over. We had to cancel a trip to my mom's house to help her decorate, but I think we can make it happen later in the week.

No comments: