Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The beat goes on...

Today was, guess what, another project day. We got the new dining room window installed on Monday. Yesterday, I installed the exterior trim boards and caulked them. Then I went into multitasking mode. I put a coat of varnish on some of the parts of the Murphy bed that I am building. While that was drying, I installed the new drywall trim around the window, installed the edge strips and put on the first coat of mud.

Today, Jill and I went to Home Depot to pick up some more mud. The stuff I used yesterday, in addition to being nearly gone, is also very old and it's getting kind of lumpy. On the way home, we stopped off at "Biscuits" and had a yummy breakfast. Then it was home, where I morphed into "Project Man."

The first order of business was to sand the mud that I applied yesterday. Then I went into the garage and stained some parts of the Murphy bed. While the stain was "working," I went back in the dining room and applied a new layer of mud to the drywall. Boy does it help to have fresh, unlumpy, un-dried-out mud!!

The rest of the day was spent working on the Murphy bed. All of the parts are now made, except the 1/4" plywood deck that the mattress will rest on. I believe that, by the weekend, I will have all of the staining and varnishing done. Boy do I love MinWax Polycrylic water soluble varnish. It dries in about a half hour, so multiple coats can be applied in one day!

I decided to stain the exterior of the bed cabinet a nice rich cherry color to match the desk that is in the den. But I also decided to leave the interior the natural color of the birch plywood. This means that I first have to varnish the "natural" area, being careful not to "slop" onto the area that will receive stain. Once the natural area is varnished, I can apply the stain to the exterior surfaces.

When the stain is dry, the final application of varnish will finish up the construction phase. All that will be left then will be the installation of the bed in its ultimate home.

Meantime, back at the dining room, I hope to texture the dry wall tomorrow. That will leave that project with nothing further to do but paint. Now all we have to do is decide what color...the same color?...a new color?...it's the decisions in life that kill you!!

1 comment:

Blessed Beyond Measure said...

you crack me up!

same color less work....new color more work...? And once you go with a new color in one spot then it carries through the entire house.

oh and lumpy never seems to be good. lumpy gravy, lumpy bed, lumpy pillow, lumpy mud....it's endless!

don't work yourself to death...it would seem that you are glad to be home!