Thursday, August 6, 2009

The first day in a loooonnnnggg time...


Today I was able to work in the yard for the first time since we got home from San Diego on the 24th of July. The weather has been too hot, until now. We had 10 straight days above 90 degrees, many of them above 100. Today we got to 72, and it has been like heaven. I have had the patio door open, which was made possible by the installation of a new screen of the roll-up, window shade variety. It works well, and for the first time we have adequate ventilation in the dining room.

But I digress. This morning I worked in the front yard. My favorite little pine tree died and turned the most awful shade of brown. Finally convinced that the neighbors would notice the change, I got my trusty bow saw...well, not mine, actually...the saw belonged to Jill before we were married...in fact, I married her for this saw...and I cut down the tree, which stood about 7 feet tall. Next, I got out the power shears for which I married Jill and trimmed off the branches. Finally, I cut the trunk in two and stuffed it all in the yard debris bin.

I was able to dig out the root, along with the root of a blue star juniper that died in the same bed. So, now the bed is pretty much bare. The problem with these plants is that the bed is primarily a patch of clay that turns into a swamp, when it gets wet. In my surpassing wisdom, I put four (count 'em) four sprinkler heads in this bed when I installed the irrigation system. I could turn them off, except that the same circuit waters several other flower beds that don't suffer from clayitis.

The plan is to overhaul the irrigation system and then put about three million yards of organic material, sand, compost, and gypsum into the bed before replanting. Now, all I have to do is locate some plants that like poorly drained soil, and I will be set.

Tomorrow...Home Depot for supplies and then back to work...Well, that will be after the 6:00 AM tee time and before the 3:00 PM meeting with my protege. Stay tuned for pictures of the progress.

No comments: