Friday, August 21, 2009

It's best to be prepared for miracles...

I got the call at 6:30 AM on Wednesday, "Be ready," said Jill. "This is it." I leapt out of bed and began working on all the tasks I had somehow not completed, although my intentions had been good. First was to pack my bag. Next I had to run to WalMart and get a new battery for the car. I had known this needed to be done, but somehow, I hadn't got around to it. Next was a stop at the pharmacy for a new tube of high fluoride content toothpaste, which I had ordered several days before, but had failed to pick up.

Then it was home again, turn on the garden hose to refill the fish pond, and go back to the garage to install the new battery in the Ford. That task was successful, so I turned off the hose and got the lawnmower fired up to trim the front lawn. Next was to gather Pogo's belongings and put her in the car. Then I remembered to put out the garbage cans for pickup on Thursday. I ran next door to the neighbor and asked her if she would bring our garbage cans back up to the house after they were emptied the next day.

At 10:03 AM, I left the house. The car also was not filled with gas, so I stopped at the filling station. I noticed that the car was very dirty, so I headed for the car wash. Just as I arrived there, I realized I had forgotten to throw in the bag that I HAD remembered to pack, the one with all the special request items that were needed in San Diego by various family members. So, I had to go home and start over again. Finally, at 10:36, I was on the road, heading for San Diego to see my new grandson.

Jill had called in the midst of my preparations to tell me that he was born at 9:14 AM, just 20 minutes after Laura arrived at the birthing center. I didn't even find out how much he weighed or how long he was. Anyway, I was on my way. I drove until about 9:00PM, when I finally found a pet friendly motel in Stockton. I called Jill and got the update. Judah Robert Sagawa was born at 9:14 AM, Wednesday, August 19th, 2009. He weighed 8 pounds even and measured 20" long. Mother and son were home by 3:00 PM and doing fine.

It was a long drive on Thursday from Stockton to San Diego. I hit the road at 6:00 AM and arrived at 3:00 PM. When you look at the pictures, you will agree, I am sure, that Judah was well worth the drive. Oh, and did I mention that it was absolutely wonderful to be reunited with my wife after three weeks?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you made it to San Diego safely. What beautiful pictures of that precious child. Thanks for posting them. I hope Laura is feeling better.

Blessed Beyond Measure said...

Sweet pictures. Glad every went well. Glad that you made it safely! What a sweet reunion! Congratulations and Many many blessings :)

Blessed Beyond Measure said...

that would be glad that EVERYTHING went well. When you get excited your brain forgets how to write!