Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Covering a multitude of sins

Today was a big day in the life of the dining room table that is under construction in the garage. After a final sanding, I applied a pre-stain conditioner to the wood. The purpose of this step is to make the stain take to the wood more evenly. In every project, there are always a few flaws. Some of them stand out to the builder to the point that he will never be able to look at the project without seeing the flaws first and then the rest of the project. After I applied the conditioner, I felt better about some of the flaws. They seemed to disappear as I flowed on what gives the appearance of an oil treated finish.

What really did the trick, however, was the espresso stain. Now, this is not a color that I would choose for my own home, but I understand it is very popular. And it is what the kids wanted for their dining room furniture. I have to say, though, that it covers a multitude of sins! Most of the flaws that concerned me have pretty much disappeared with the application of the stain. I think it is because it is such a dark color. And I admit that I believe the table will be quite attractive when it is complete. So, I am gradually being converted to being a fan of espresso stain.

I hope that I will have the table completed and ready for shipment by December 1st. There is much to do yet, and Thanksgiving looms, but I believe I am on schedule. So, we may yet be able to sit down to whatever gourmet delight Tim prepares for our Christmas feast at the new dining table. Whoo hoo!

No comments: