Sunday, November 30, 2008

I am remiss

It has been about five days since my last post. Of course, a lot has come to pass in the meantime. Thursday was Thanksgiving day, and we had a houseful. My brother and his wife and two of his kids were here, along with my mom, our daughter-in-law, our son's half-sister, and a couple from our Bible study group. It was a lovely day, although we were sorry that Patrick, our son, was ill and unable to attend. Although, I was instrumental in preparing the meal, I have to say that it was one of the best turkey dinners I can remember. For once, I got a perfect "do" on the Turkey. Others brought things that added immensely to the meal, but of course, the thing that added the most to the day was the presence of family and friends whom we love.

Friday was given over to working on the dining table that I have been building in the garage. Staining and varnishing were the order of the day. I have already posted about the virtues of espresso-colored stain. The varnish added an unexpected depth of character to the table. I am gradually warming to the color. I hope the kids like it as much as I do.

On Saturday, the varnishing continued, but it was interrupted by the need to sit down and listen to the Oregon/Oregon State (civil war) game on the radio. Although the game was televised, I don't have access to the station that broadcast it. The radio announcers, however, did an outstanding job with the play-by-play, and I could almost see the game in my mind's eye. I was pleased with the outcome: Oregon 65, Oregon State 38. That set a new record for points scored in a civil war game: 103.

Today we were in for a treat at church. Internationally renowned evangelist, Luis Palau, was the guest speaker. His sermon was thrilling and motivating. This man is a master communicator and has been instrumental in presenting the gospel of Christ to over 1 billion people around the world. That's billion with a "b!" Over a million people credit Luis Palau with having led them to faith in Christ.

In addition to Dr. Palau's message, we were treated to some very moving music from a rather small (by comparison with most Sunday services at our church) worship band. It all felt very intimate and satisfying. There was a preview of the Christmas play that will be performed next Thursday through Sunday, and a video drama that is to be continued next Sunday. One never knows what he will encounter at Rolling Hills on a Sunday morning, but it is a safe bet that it will be a blessing.

After church, I put the finishing touches on the table and took a few pictures of it. I won't post any photos of the finished product until after the kids receive the table. I want them to have some kind of a surprise out of this project! Tomorrow, I hope to locate a shipper for the table. My plan is to visit the UPS store. I understand they will not only ship it, but also pack it for shipping. That will be a huge relief, because I am not a good packer. I am beginning to believe that we will actually be eating Christmas dinner at this table.

No comments: