Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sawing, sanding, and hearing


Been working on a unique dining room table from a plan I found on line. The leaves are on extension arms and store under the main table top. To extend the table you just lift up on one end of the table top and slide the leaf into place. This increases the length of the table from 54 inches to nearly eight feet. The purpose of this project is to provide a table and a Christmas present for middle daughter and her husband. The house they bought in the spring has a dining room that is 9 feet square, so a large table is not an option. One end of the dining room connects with the living room, so with this table, they will be able to extend the dining table into the living room if necessary.

Today I completed the construction phase of the project. Tomorrow, I will start on the sanding and finishing phase. Once that is complete, I will stain and varnish the table. God willing, I will get it shipped to San Diego in time to eat Christmas dinner on it!

After completing the table construction, I made a long overdue trip to Costco to visit the hearing aid center. I had a hearing test and a test run on a pair of Revera hearing aids. Wow! Just to think of what I have been missing. I wanted to take the demo pair home with me, but alas I will have to wait a week or two. So, I ask you, "Whatever became of instant gratification?" I do believe this will be a huge enhancement in my life. I do biblical counseling in concert with my darling wife. It has become a strain, sometimes, to hear the counselees. I am convinced that this will make listening much easier...and that should make our counseling more effective.

1 comment:

JillW said...

Kudos to you, DH, for crafting the beautiful table, for tackling the hearing aid dilemma, and for always remaining in good humor throughout all challenges.