Thursday, November 13, 2008

S.N.O.B.

We had dinner this evening with our Bible study group at Laurelwood Public House and Brewery on Sandy Boulevard in northeast Portland. The food was tolerable, the Porter was eminently potable and the company was nonpareil. I might add that the service was friendly, with just enough attention to assure that all of our needs and desires were addressed without the intrusive, hale-fellow-well-met sort of chumminess that seems to be all the rage among the younger generation of wait personnel. All things considered, I can recommend Laurelwood without reservation. (Incidentally, they don't take reservations on Thursday through Sunday evenings, although they did make an exception for our group of eight. That made a positive impression.)

Across from me, pasted on the wall was a small poster with the letters S.N.O.B. emblazened across the top. Below was a photo of a chap with a tee shirt sporting the same letters. The poster went on to explain that S.N.O.B. is an acronym for "Supporter of Native Oregon Beers." It seemed a reasonable sort of thing to be. I meant to investigate further, in hopes of adding a tee shirt to my collection, but at my age, I am easily distracted and failed to follow up.

So, there it is. My first restaurant (or in this case, public house and brewery) review. I don't eat out often, so when I do, I will try to post a review here.

2 comments:

Mr. Waugh said...

Megan's parentals are big SNOB fans and have tons of stuff about it.

Bigben said...

I would agree with your comments about this restaurant. I chose the B.Y.O.B on the menu (Build Your Own Burger). The extra jalapeno peppers, cheese and chili provided just the right sapidity. Once the lettuce and tomato were added (now nearly 4" tall), it became a true TMJ challenge but nothing one couldn't conquer with a sharp knife and fork. Fries were nice and crispy too. Good choice Tom.