Sunday, November 16, 2008

Getting connected in the Age of Communication

I just had a fun "chat" with my son on Windows Live Messenger. We talked about everything from Thanksgiving to basketball, from church to blogging. This modern age of electronic marvels is fascinating. It is so nice to be able to carry on a "conversation" for free with loved ones who live in remote areas. It is really handy for staying in touch with our kids: one in San Diego, one in Denver and one in Monmouth, OR.

On the other hand, it saddens me that with all the technology that is available for connectedness, there is so much disconnectedness in our society. We can call people anywhere at any time, and yet we are afraid to open our hearts to each other, for fear that someone might actually find out who we are deep down inside. Nevertheless, we all long to have someone with whom we can connect and be totally honest.

There is One who already knows us in every detail, and yet who has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you." He is someone who will accept us just as we are, without condemning us. He is always available, even without modern technology. He will listen, and He will comfort us; teach us and challenge us; and even still love us when we mess up. I mean really mess up.

His name is Jesus. If you don't know him, you can learn more about him here. If you would like to learn about his life and how he interacts with people, get a Bible (any Bible will do, but I find the New King James version or the New International Version to be especially readable) and read the Gospel of John. You might also like to read, further on in the Bible, the First Epistle of John, which talks about the love Jesus has for each of us and how it can transform our lives.

If you have questions about Jesus, please feel free to email me. I am not a preacher; I am a man whose life was transformed by the love of Jesus. I believe there are no "dumb" questions, because I already asked all of those, so the only ones left are legitimate questions. I don't know all the answers, but I know where all the answers are. They are in the pages of God's love letter to humanity, which we call "The Holy Bible."

1 comment:

JillW said...

Amen to all you have written...