Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sunshine and tinkering...

The sun is out. This makes two days in a row! It is amazing what it does for my disposition, after several days of gray skies and rain. It is not so much a matter of my being crabby or depressed without the sunshine. It is just that I feel more like doing things, when the sun shines.

Jill and I started the day with a brisk walk at the mall. This activity is becoming a regular routine for us as part of our "Sensible Living in 2009" campaign. It gives us a pretty good workout, and we enjoy having the time together to chat and share things.

When we got home, Jill went to the neighbors' house to watch the kids, while mom went to the dentist. She loves babysitting these little darlings; and they love having her there. Jill's years of teaching at the elementary level have given her a way of relating to young children that is very engaging. They love her.

While Jill was gone, I reassembled a clock I had been cleaning. It is now happily ticking away on the wall in our entryway. That went so well that I disassembled, cleaned, oiled and reassembled our school clock in the dining room, as well. Well, by the time I finished that, I was on a roll. So I disassembled, cleaned and oiled the mantel clock that has been in the den and hasn't run since before Jill and I were married.

When I reassembled this one, however, it failed to run. Never one to take "No" for an answer without challenging it, I disassembled the clock once more. This time I further disassembled the escapement and adjusted the fingers that engage the escapement wheel. The clock has been happily ticking and tocking for over an hour now without missing a beat. I still need to replace the hands and face, but I think we will be able to enjoy the mellow chime of this charming little clock on a regular basis now. Did I mention that I collect clocks?

No comments: