Thursday, January 29, 2009

On the passing of the years...

Today is my darling Jill's birthday. As of today, she has officially lived longer than either of her parents. This is a fact that weighs on her mind from time to time. Because my parents have lived into their nineties, I tend not to think about the fact that my life could be near the end. Jill's parents, on the other hand, both died in their fifties. Naturally, Jill has a mindset that, at 59, she may be near the end of her life.

Jill has made much healthier lifestyle choices than her parents did, so there is reason to believe that her lifespan may exceed theirs by decades. On the other hand, she and her brother share some health concerns (undoubtedly inherited) that are risk factors for heart disease. Both are agressively addressing those concerns under the guidance of their respective physicians. Thank God for modern medicine!

I guess all of this is to say that I love you, Jill. God alone knows when He will call you home. In the meantime, I get to love you and tend you and be your partner. On this, your 59th birthday, I pray that God will grant me many decades more to serve Him with you and to serve you. You are His gift to me.

Happy birthday, Darling! I love you!!

2 comments:

Blessed Beyond Measure said...

You are so sweet Tom! I am sure you both have many many more years together. You have too much goin' for ya to think other wise.

Happy Birthday Jill!

Love ya
and
many
Blessings

Jim Valentine said...

Happy Birthday, Jill!!!

I'm always a step behind Guyanne!

in Christ,
Jim