Friday, January 16, 2009

You gotta try this...

We went to the market today. While wandering the produce section, I spotted some lovely big leeks. I was instantly transported back to my college days, when my roomy and I subsisted almost exclusively on bologna sandwiches on white bread and Wyler's potato and leek soup.

Fast forward about 44 years...and about 44 pounds. I was snapped back to the reality of 2009. Tom needs to cut back some. At least for the near term, potato and leek soup is out of the question. Sensible living in 2009, you know. My mind, however, wouldn't leave the leeks alone. Then it came to me. A few years back, I learned a recipe for what I call cauliflower mashers. In essence, it is a substitute for mashed potatoes and is good enough to fool me and others into believing it IS mashed potatoes.

Putting two and two together, I realized that I eat cauliflower mashers in order to avoid the simple carbohydrates in potatoes. So, why not cauliflower mashers and leek soup? I snapped up a bundle of leeks and a head of cauliflower and threw them in the baskart. (I hate that term).

At dinner time, I executed my nefarious plan, and now I will share the recipe with you:

CAULIFLOWER AND LEEK SOUP

1 head cauliflower
3/4 cup fat free sour cream
1 1/2 Tbs butter
1-2 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 cup crumbled bacon (cooked) (You can get this ready-made at Costco)
Dash of paprika (optional)
Parsley sprigs for garnish (optional)

1 large leek
2 Tbs olive oil

2 cups chicken broth
2 tsp chicken bouillon
1/2 cup skim milk
pinch of cayenne
salt to taste

PREPARE THE CAULIFLOWER MASHERS (Remember, you can use this recipe separately)

Separate the florets from a head of cauliflower and steam until fork tender. (I did this in the microwave.) Place steamed cauliflower in food processor. Add sour cream, butter, salt and garlic and process to a puree. Add crumbled cooked bacon and process until the bacon is well chopped and mixed into the puree. Set aside. (If you choose to serve this as a mashed potato substitute, place in a serving bowl and garnish with paprika and parsley sprigs.)

PREPARE THE SOUP.

Place chicken broth and chicken bouillon into a large pot and heat over a medium burner.

Slice one large leek into thin discs. Saute in olive oil until just transparent. Add to the mashers and run food processor to cut the leek fine and mix into the puree.

When the broth is hot, but not boiling, add the mashers and leek mixture to the broth. Add skim milk, cayenne and salt to taste. Mix well and allow to heat through, so the flavors meld. The final result should have the consistency of a cream soup. Serve hot. Makes about 5-6 cups.

Jill could not stop raving about this soup. She said she wished it didn't fill her up so quickly, because it never stopped tasting good. Fortunately, there is some left for tomorrow. Lunchtime, when will you arrive?



No comments: